26th of November, 2021
‘INnovate & INspire’
Winners of the “INnovate & Inspire” EIT Health Spain Biomedical Engineering Award 2021
Patient-focused Vision Award
Uma María Lal-Trehan Estrada with “Estimating Acute Ischemic Stroke using NCCT and CTA, are we doing it right?” (enlace: https://twitter.com/CASEIB2021/status/1460675786491535360)
Most Promising Business-Oriented Vision Award
Enrique Vilalta with “Benesit, the device that helps you sit better” (enlace: https://twitter.com/CASEIB2021/status/1460671825810178052)
Audience Choice Award
Luis Alonso with “Melanoma detection with artificial intelligence” (enlace: https://twitter.com/CASEIB2021/status/1460673709438611465)
Congratulations to the winners and to all the participants!
Here is the short list of videos for the Audience Choice Award:
- Álvaro Martínez: Recommendation system of clinical advice for chronic diseases
- Anne Oyarzun: 3D Multi-Class CNN Implementation for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Segmentation
- Elsa Martínez: Design and development of a content aggregator for patients with depression and anxiety
- Enric Casanova: Design and fabrication of a novel bioresorbable stent through additive manufacturing of silk fibroin
- Enrique Vilalta: Benesit, the device that helps you sit better
- Lucía Sallé: Hera Technology: technology for mental health democratization
- Luis Alonso: Melanoma detection with artificial intelligence
- María Molero: Precision study of 3D printing dental replicas for their use as surgical guides in dental autotransplantation
- Marta Suárez: Design and implementation of a Real World Data Capture Platform for Breast Cancer Patients
- Mirene Fernández: Development and implementation of an 18F-FDG PET/CT image processing tool to detect endocarditis in patients
- Rocío del Amor: Development of automatic classification systems for challenging skin tumors
- Uma María Lal-Trehan Estrada: Estimating Acute Ischemic Stroke using NCCT and CTA, are we doing it right?
To cast a vote for the Audience Choice Award, please go to the Twitter account of the event https://twitter.com/caseib2021 and vote with a «like» for your favourite video. The video with the most «likes» will win the INnovate & INspire EIT Health Spain Biomedical Engineering Award – Audience Choice. Voting is open until November 23rd at 17:00 h (when the likes will be counted).
Open for submissions
EIT Health Spain and SEIB are proud to announce the launch of the first edition of the EIT Health Spain Biomedical Engineering Award aimed at fostering entrepreneurship and innovation among recent graduates and students of this speciality. The award celebrates academic excellence and encourages students to continue the pursuit of healthy lives in Europe through their future career.
We invite all degree, Master or PhD students and young professionals working in Biomedical Engineering, who have graduated within the last 3 years to participate as applicants by sharing the topic of their Final Degree Project or Final Master Project («TFG» or «TFM») or a current work project related to biomedical engineering.
We also encourage everyone to participate as members of the audience to vote for the Audience Choice Award.
The awards consist of
- The Patient-focused Vision Award. The prize includes 500 euros plus two comprehensive mentoring sessions with the EIT Health Spain team.
- The Most Promising Business-oriented Vision Award. The prize includes 500 euros plus two comprehensive mentoring sessions with the EIT Health Spain team.
- The Audience Choice Award will be decided by a vote. The prize includes 200 euros plus two comprehensive mentoring sessions with the EIT Health Spain team.*
Who can apply:
For the 2021 edition the award is calling for all degree, Master or PhD students and young professionals working in Biomedical Engineering, who have graduated within the last 3 years.
When to apply:
The award is open for submissions. The final date for submissions is Sunday, November 7th, 2021 at midnight (UTC +1).
How to apply:
Please complete this short form (link to be provided) and submit it before the deadline.
The application consists of:
- Short description and applicant details (graduation year and institution required).
- A pitching video of 5 minutes summarizing the most relevant aspects of the Final Degree Project (TFG), Final Master Project ( “TFM”) or a current work project related to biomedical engineering. Pitches should be in English only.
The video should demonstrate:
a) The uniqueness and creativity of the idea.
b) The potential impact on the lives of patients.
c) The potential to become a new business or improve an existing business.
d) The practical nature of the idea and how the idea could be implemented.
Please submit your video application via this link:
(You will need to create a free user account in order to submit a video application.)
*How to vote for the Audience Choice Award:
A shortlist of finalists will be published on Tuesday, November 16th, 2021.
A link to cast your vote will be made available allowing for one vote per person which will be verified.
Award guidelines and conditions:
- Any of the awards will only be delivered to Biomedical Engineering graduates able to officially prove completion of studies with the corresponding accreditation. The organisation holds the right to decline the delivery of the Award in the event this proof cannot be provided.
- The participants are the sole responsible for the authenticity of the presented works. The Award is aimed at celebrating excellence and authenticity. Should any claim in terms of plagiarism or authenticity be placed towards a candidacy, the organisation holds the right to explore and discard or not the participant.
- EIT Health Spain commits to deliver the economical award before the end of the 2021 year as well as scheduling the mentoring session before the end of January 2022.
- The Awards organisation will communicate the shortlist to the candidates so they can mobilise votes for the Audience Award.
- The video submitted will be published online for voting purposes as part of the awards process.
- The organisation commits to display a succinct form. Incomplete forms will not be considered.
- The Jury Members will be published publicly on the Awards section of the website together with the agenda of the Awards Delivery Ceremony event.
- By presenting your candidacy, you are accepting the above listed conditions.